Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Prepare for Hair



The band Impossible Hair is coming to rock The Taphouse in Norfolk on Saturday. I'm excited about the gig for several reasons. One, my friend Sammy Ponzar is playing with the band these days, and he's a fantastic drummer. Secondly, there's a connection between Impossible Hair --a Silver Spring, MD-based guitar-pop band and Buttsteak, a group from Norfolk that has lurked in my memory and imagination for close to 13 years.
Not long after I moved to Newport News, I saw Buttsteak play a show at the late, great Kings Head Inn, formerly located on Norfolk's Hampton Boulevard. The show was one of the freakiest, most violent, disturbing, exciting musical spectacles I've witnessed.
According to a bio on allmusic.com, Buttsteak moved to Baltimore from Norfolk and established quite a following there. I was never sure what happened to the band after I saw that gig in what must have been 1993 or 1994 (I still have a poster somewhere).
Anyway, I'm looking forward to catching some quality guitar pop from Impossible Hair and exploring the Buttsteak connection. It seems that Jim Glass from the Hairs played in some version of Buttsteak.
I hope to update Toggle Switch with more about this subject soon.


No comments: