Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Moonlight Mile


(Photo of Rickey from Facebook)
Through Facebook, I learned tonight that my friend Rickey Wright is hospitalized and is in very serious condition. For those of you who don't know Rickey, he was a music writer from here in Norfolk who worked at the Virginian-Pilot for a time in the 1990s. He's been living in Seattle for the better part of the last 10 years.
Rickey was very much a role model for me. His writing about local bands including Buttsteak and Waxing Poetics definitely pointed me in a direction that eventually became this blog. Along with being one of the funniest and smartest people I know, he's also easily one of the most musically knowledgeable people I've ever met. I wish I could offer more details about Rickey's situation, but I'm just finding out about all of this myself. I'll update as as soon as possible. In the meantime, join me in sending healing thoughts or prayers his way.
[Update, 02-19-2009, 11:30 p.m.] A few hours ago, I learned that Rickey passed away this afternoon in Seattle. He had suffered several strokes, the last of which caused severe brain damage, according to a family member. Rickey was 45. Read a Virginian-Pilot story about his death here.]

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your friend Rickey. A friend of mine of FB is/was friends with him from working at Amazon in Seattle, and I just saw her status update this evening. I learned a little bit about Rickey through the group Friends of Rickey Wright, which she joined on FB.

Sam McDonald said...

Thank you, Anonymous. Rickey was a great guy with a great spirit and lust for life. I'm having trouble thinking about a post-Rickey world and I feel guilty that I hadn't talked with him in several years. I hope he had some idea of how much I cherished our friendship.

Sam McDonald said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Don Harrison said...

Rickey and I worked together at the Commonwealth Times at VCU, and later at the Virginian Pilot and still later at amazon. He was a great guy and I'm absolutely heartsick that he's no longer with us — it just doesn't seem right. I hope he knew how many people back in Virginia loved him and thought the world of him. My best wishes go out to his family at this difficult time. Thanks, Sam, for honoring him at Toggle Switch.

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe said...

Wow. This is terribly sad. Never me the guy, but my condolences definitely go out to his family and friends.

Misty Beethoven said...

I'm sorry to learn about your friend. I know it must be rough for you and especially for his family. I'm here for you if you want to talk, all the best always.