Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lava Love


(Hot Lava photo by Ellie Bolton, Bar/None)

Friday's show at The Boot featuring Hot Lava, The Sad Cobras and Little Trooper is sort of an small-scale Virginia indie-pop festival featuring three of the Old Dominion's most creative and tuneful ensembles.
Here's the overview:
Norfolk's own Little Trooper has great tunes, great spirit and a refreshingly unpretentious stage stance. For me, they're the shiznit. Roanoke's Sad Cobras are a band I've been salivating over for months now. The Cobras' CD "No More Graves" is an arty, ambitious disc that's melodic, heartfelt and -- at times -- very funny. The disc shows a lot of craftsmanship and I can't wait to hear what the band sounds like live.
Finally, there's Richmond's Hot Lava -- a spiky, sorta electronic, sorta poppy, sorta garagy ensemble that's about to release an album, "Lavalogy," on Bar/None Records, the respected label that's brought us music from Freedy Johnston, Yo La Tengo and They Might Be Giants. Just today, I got my hands on a copy of "Lavalogy." I'm still digesting it, but I can say now that it's both beautiful and brutal, both nasty and nice.
The Boot lists the start time of Friday's show as 10 p.m. Cover is $5.

No comments: