Sunday, August 10, 2008

Secret Handshake


(Photo from www.blacktwigpickers.org)

I shouldn't be surprised anymore that I read about Virginia music in British magazines before I read about it from homegrown sources. (See several previous posts) But it still bugged me to see a very positive review of the Black Twig Pickers' album "Hobo Handshake" in the August issue of Uncut magazine. Mind you, I'm happy that a Virginia band is getting good ink across the pond. But I'm a little disturbed that I'm coming so late to the party. The record -- I've learned -- came out back in March!

Anyway, here's the text of Jon Dale's review in Uncut:

"Fronted by Mike Gangloff, long-serving member of backwoods drone outfit Pelt, Black Twing Pickers play traditional songs that sit at the bridging point between country, blues and folk. Their readings of tunes like "Never Miss Your Mama" or "Old Joe Bone" are respectful without feeling hidebound by tradition, and the rangy scrawl of Gangloff's fiddle, scratching over stringy banjo melodies and rudimentary, totally monomaniacal percussion reminds of Peter Stampfel's Holy Modal Rounders. Another beautiful set of American Primitive, '00 style."

A related gripe is that the Black Twig boys don't seem to know that Hampton Roads exists -- at least based on their posted tour schedule. Then again, our region isn't replete with venues for experimental/old-time music acts, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that, either.

If you're interested grabbing some Twigs music, you'll find free MP3s at both links given in this post.

No comments: