Tuesday, September 16, 2008

September Girl


(MySpace photo by Lynne Brubaker)
Today, I learned that Shannon Worrell -- who back in the gay '90s recorded and performed in the Charlottesville duo September 67 -- is still in Charlottesville and still making music. This is, for me, great news because I dearly loved a particular September 67 song called (I kid you not) "Stephen Malkmus is a Fucking Snob."
While the song doesn't actually contain that line, Shannon did seem to be addressing Stephen -- also someone who spent some time in C'Ville way back when. At the climax of the tune, says Shannon quotes poet Allen Ginsberg then sings "Fuck a bunch of irony, dear God, make me a hippie!"
Funny, smart, heartfelt stuff -- and sung in a voice and setting that reminds me of Tanya Donelly or Kristen Hirsh.
September 67 got some big label attention and even toured as part of Lilith Fair, but, for whatever reason, never really took off. Worrell went on to record some overly slick coffeehouse pop-folk on her 1994 solo disc "Three Wishes." Her 2000 album "The Moviegoer" was better, but must not have made much of a splash. I don't even remember hearing about it when it was released.
I had pretty much written off Shannon, so stumbling on her MySpace page was a pleasant surprise. She's set to release a new album, "The Honey Guide," on October 17. If the song "Kitchen" posted on her MySpace page is any indication, she's moved in a more folky, rustic direction. It suits her.

If you want to download "Stephen Malkmus ..." or Shannon's solo discs, they're available through www.emusic.com.

1 comment:

Misty Beethoven said...

I first heard Shannon Worrell on the compilation "Dear Charlottesville". That's where I first heard Sparklehorse, too. Glad to know she's still playing, so many good artists disappear.