Thursday, January 22, 2009

Paul is Live ...Long Live Paul


(Photo nabbed from mgblakenship.blogspot.com)
Public Radio's Paul Shugrue said tonight on his show "Out of the Box" that he plans to mark the fifth anniversary of his joining WHRV-FM wth a special retrospective program on Saturday.
So this is a fine opportunity to give Paul some luv.
It's hard for me to believe it's already been five years. But in another sense, I have trouble remembering what the airwaves were like without him. With no disrespect to the wonderful Rollie Bristol who died last year, Paul's show has become a fundamental part of my musical world. I listen habitually. Of course I don't love everything he plays. But I can depend on Paul to spin lots of good music that's creating a buzz in the industry or the underground. So often, I am introduced to music that I've previously only read about as I drive home from work around 7 p.m.
Paul also deserves credit for playing music from Hampton Roads artists. He's definitely dedicated to fostering a sense of community here and I appreciate that. Thanks.

2 comments:

The Information Officer said...

Paul is definitely the reason I donate to public radio every year. It would be a tough day to ever turn on the radio and not get that bit of juice from the box.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Out of the Box! I missed the Saturday show, but I listen almost every weeknight while I'm making dinner. Paul's show is a breath of fresh air for Hampton Roads radio.