Sunday, January 11, 2009

Race For the Prize


(Muckrakes photo/ MySpace)

Port Folio Weekly recently published its list of nominees for 2009 Local Music Awards. You can see the full list and cast your vote here. Awards will be handed out Feb. 28 at the Jewish Mother in Virginia Beach.
Scanning the names, I see several bands and performers that Toggle Switch has been following over the last year. The Villains are nominated for Album of the Year. At War was picked in the Metal/Hard Rock category. Mas Y Mas, The Super Vacations, The Trauma Dolls and Basic Riffs all will compete in the punk category.
Under the Americana heading, I see Gina Dalmas, Pawnshop Lifters, Shifty and The Muckrakes, who I heard for the first time this past Friday at Tanner's Creek in Norfolk.
I'm happy to report that The Muckrakes are a great addition to the Hampton Roads scene. Their rustic ensemble sound -- made up of banjo, fiddle, lap steel and strong harmony vocals -- shows they have a bright future. On Friday I only heard a handful of tunes, including Dolly Parton's "Jolene" and a honky-tonk version of The Cure's "Just Like Heaven," but I heard enough to know I want to see them again soon. Fortunately, they're scheduled to play a bunch in coming weeks. Their schedule includes shows Jan. 22 at Cozy's in Newport News and Jan. 23 at O'Sullivan's Wharf in Norfolk.
In the spirit of full disclosure, I should point out that Muckrakes lap steel man Cory Nealon is a co-worker of mine. But don't hold that against him.

No comments: