Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cheated Again


(Bastards of Fate photo by Ricket Powell)
It's strange to me that Greenville, N.C. sometimes gets better underground rock shows that Hampton Roads. I don't want to sound like a whiner, but it's bothersome to me that bands that I want to see visit that town (home to East Carolina University) before coming to Norfolk. I guess it's the allure of the college kids. And I know, ODU is more of a commuter college so the bar scene here for younger bands can be anemic. But Jeez!
Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'll report another morsel of disappointment. It looks doubtful that The Bastards of Fate -- led by musical mad scientist Doug Cheatwood -- will be playing Richmond's Nara Sushi on June 7. Doug told me that the restaurant was double booked and that the date will probably be moved. I've never gotten to witness the Bastards' freak show, so this was bad news for me. Seems like we should be able to get a Bastards gig in Hampton Roads. Are you listening Josh and Dave from The Boot?
As a consolation prize, here's a link to a Bastards of Fate song straight from Doug himself.
Speaking of Richmond, a bunch of interesting bands are playing the garden of the Edgar Allan Poe Museum on May 31. Headliners are Mermaid Skeletons (who are releasing an EP called "The Darlings") and joining them will be Zak Hryciak and The Jungle Beat, David Shultz and The Skyline and The Young Sinclairs.

No comments: