Tuesday, May 6, 2008

T.J.'s Picks


(Rylo photo from MySpace)

T.J. the DJ's "Drivin' and Jivin'" show on WFOS-FM (88.7) is one of the bright spots on the Hampton Roads radio dial. T.J.'s show airs 2-4 p.m. Sundays and bubbles over with raw rockabilly and hard-hitting classic country.

I asked T.J. to tell me about some of his favorite bands in Hampton Roads. Here's what he told me:

"My favorite band around here is Rylo. First they are a bunch of awesome guys. Their music is unadulterated and gets everyone moving! Never a dull moment with them. They have worked with and played with some greats including Lindy Fralin (lindy fralin guitar pickups) who played on their newest album, Billy Horton who produced their newest album, and many greats who they have played with.

Another great band is the Trauma Dolls. This band features members of the now defunct Bottle Babies. It's just pure raw adrenaline and energy on stage. Great rock n roll band.

A band I have recently (within the last year) really gotten in to is the Pawn Shop Lifters. They are on the edgier side of Americana but do it all with their own twist. The recently released 5 song EP from them is amazing. The only thing they have let me down with is the fact they don't have a full length album out. But it's just a matter of time.

If you enjoy electronic music then Heretics In The Lab is really good. I have done sound for them a couple of times and they have always put on a great show and are all great guys.

As far as just plain rock goes I would have to go with Jay Rakes Band. They are all instrumental but this dude is sick on the guitar. And again he is super nice!

A band from around here that really got me into music is the Candy Snatchers. I used to sneak in to Cogan's back when I was 15 to see them play! If it wasn't for seeing them at an early age I think I would have been warped with the crap they play on the radio! [Other than on WFOS, of course -- Sam]

Oh and another band that I really love is 1888. They are amazing musicians, great folks and i love the fact that they have fused together americana, rock and indie to form their own unique sound."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All those bands are GREAT, especailly The Trauma Dolls. Man, there's so much energy from those guys. They're like a small nuke going off on stage.