Sunday, May 4, 2008

Random Notes


(Crums singer Larry "Mud" May, here singing with the Candy Snatchers at South End Pub/ courtesy of Big Bobby & The Nightcaps MySpace page)

For my 100th post (that's right folks, I've reached the century mark) I'm going to throw out some observations from the past few days. I'll return to the less fragmented reporting later in the week.

First off, I'm happy to say that the Skye Zentz gig at the grand re-opening of the Norfolk Farm Market was relaxed and lovely. Miss Z sang what I think was a combination of newer tunes and songs from her CD "Legitimate Bohemia" while accompanying herself on acoustic guitar and ukulele. I particularly liked her uke-powered performance of "Persephone." Some of the Saturday morning shoppers didn't pay too much attention, but by the end of her short first set, several had clearly taken notice of her strong songs and pure, textured vocals. She's told me that she's planning to leave Hampton Roads later this summer, so catch her while you can.

Saturday night, I headed over to the Tanners Creek restaurant on Colley Ave. to hear the raucous Crums. It was my first time seeing a band there, although I'd been wanting to see a show at Tanners Creek ever since late last year when I learned that the place was booking bands on a semi-regular basis.
It was great to see so many old-time rockers in the crowd -- some of whom I hadn't seen in years. Clearly, not every 40 year old heads out to the suburbs for a life of soccer practices and PTA meetings.
Tanners Creek turns out to be a decent place to see a show. Sound was loud and clear. Access to the bar was easy. My only complaint is that there is not a true stage, so that it was hard to see the performers if you weren't in the first few ranks of onlookers. The bottom line, though, is I'll be heading back to Tanners Creek.

While at Tanners, I spoke with my neighbor Jim Roberts and he recommended to me a band called Ampersand, which, he said includes Martha Roebuck of the band Falstaff. Jim said the band covers a few tunes by the Jayhawks, so that's enough to make me want to check them out. I'm going to try to see them when they play Granby North on May 31.

2 comments:

Jim Roberts said...

Also in Ampersand: Shea Roebuck (of The Hollowbodies) on stand-up bass and Greg Wikle (of Falstaff) on guitar. (They were previously featured on ToggleSwitch at: http://toggleswitchvirginia.blogspot.com/2008/01/back-porch-music.html.) Keith (Collison?) plays drums, and Joel Haberli has been known to sit in on ukelele.

The May 31 show will be bittersweet, as Granby North lost its lease and will close in June.

Sam McDonald said...

Wow! That's bad news. I'm sorry to hear that Granby North is going ... south. Thanks for the info on the rest of the Ampersanders.