Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Extraordinary



(Toggle Switch photo of Billy Bragg with The Watson Twins at the Attucks Theatre, Norfolk, Oct. 30)

I'm still trying to get my head around the presidential election. The fact that our nation has made such a leap forward makes me, frankly, a bit weepy. But one of the pre-election moments I'll always remember is hearing Billy Bragg last week at the Attucks Theatre. Musically, Billy was sharp. More on that later.
He was also very funny -- I could do a post just on his banter. And his between-song political chatter (as you would expect, there was a lot of it) included several gems. Looking forward to what he predicted would be an Obama victory, he warned against the cynicism that would surely set in after the honeymoon period ends. He said, and I paraphrase: "Mark my words, within 18 months after he takes office, people will say, 'Obama is no better than Bush.'" He said the key is to guard against that cynicism and to be ready to push our leaders back in the right direction when we see them wander off the path.

He also said that America electing a black president would be a wonderful message to send to the rest of the world.

At that, someone from the balcony yelled, "It's not that he's the black candidate, it's that he's the right candidate."

Billy said, yes, Obama was the better candidate. But he stressed that from the perspective of Europe and the rest of the globe, the symbolism of a black chief executive would be powerfully positive.

Bragg said that folks in the rest of the world get weary of the United States describing itself as extraordinary. "But then once in awhile you do something truly extraordinary. So here's to you," Bragg said, or words to that effect. He went on to say, "What are the chances of Britain electing a black prime minister? Zero. France, Germany? Zero."

Now, getting back to the music, I'll just say that I was knocked out. I have not been crazy about Bragg's last few records. Even going back to the "Mermaid Avenue" records recorded with Wilco, I found his songs lacking. So I was concerned that this, my first Billy Bragg concert, would be a disappointment. My worries evaporated the very second Bragg walked on stage and plugged in.

In a wide-legged, Steve Jones-style stance, he ripped into "Help Save the Youth of America" sounding as fierce as ever. He followed that with "Farm Boy" from his new album "Mr. Love & Justice" then "Greetings to the New Brunette." His voice sounded full, strong and in-tune. Most of the set was electric, although he did pick up an acoustic guitar for a set of tunes in the middle of the show, including an excellent version of "Sexuality." For me, the highlights were "The Saturday Boy" and "The Milkman of Human Kindness" and "There is Power in a Union."

Billy's 50 now -- he turns 51 next month. But he still feels the fire.

No comments: