Thursday, January 17, 2008

Burning down the Taphouse


(Photo by Lonnie Sumner)
Save those ZZTop jokes. I'm looking forward to hearing Pawn Shop Lifters play a CD release party at The Taphouse in Norfolk Feb. 9. We'll get to hear Wendell Johnson's band romp and stomp through the tunes on the EP "Whiskey Lane." From the streaming tracks I've heard, "Drive On" "THBM" and the title track, this is good, loud, raucous, twangy stuff.
Wendell reports that cover will be $5 and you'll get a copy of the EP for free. That's a deal, my friend.
And here's a reason to show up early. The night's opening act will be guitar player and singer Gina Dalmas, veteran of several notable local combos. "It'll be just me on acoustic, and Gene Bowers will graciously be joining me for some (hopefully all!) of the tunes," she writes. "I'll be doing some of Robbie [Fulks] tunes. I've completely changed directions: my last band was Action Habit, indie rock. but i grew up with country and it has been beckoning."
Gene Bowers is a sharp guitar picker from Hampton who some of you may know from his days playing with Marty Jones and the Ten Top Boys.
Hot diggity dog!

No comments: