Wednesday, June 25, 2008

... And It Don't Stop


(MySpace photo of the Hieroglyphics)
Sometimes I'm amazed at what's floating around in Hampton Roads. I'm surprised that great shows slip into town without much notice -- despite the fact that I'm working hard to notice! Tonight's revelation is that a couple of pleasantly left-field hip-hop groups are playing Steppin' Out in Virginia Beach on July 27: The Hieroglyphics and Blue Scholars. As I learned, The Hieroglyphics are an underground hip-hop collective from Oakland, Calif. It was founded in the early 1990s by Del tha Funkee Homosapien. The Blue Scholars, meanwhile, are another free-thinking hip-hop crew from Seattle.
Rollie Ligart of 151 Productions is part of the team that's making this show happen. He recently posted a cry for help in getting the word out about the show. "If this show is successful we will continue bringing the GOOD hip hop shows to the area!!" he promised.

4 comments:

iso.bot said...

whoa, besides the fact that i love hiero and blue scholars, i went to elementary school in hampton with a kid called "rollie ligart." could it be the same guy?

regardless, i will be spending the majority of the evening in richmond for a tattoo, but would love to meet you at this show if you are going. let me know...

Sam McDonald said...

Yeah, I bet it is the same guy. Maria said she knew him from school, too!

July 27 is a Sunday night ... so I may have trouble making that show, but man, I would like to. It's been way too long since I've seen a good hip-hop show.

As we get closer, let's get in touch and see how things are shaping up.

Hope you liked the Rilo Kiley show ... weren't you there?

iso.bot said...

OH! July 27th. Phew, plenty of time to plan...

swampy said...

93 till infinity son.