Saturday, June 7, 2008

Chocolate City



A few posts ago I griped about how bands I yearn to hear in Hampton Roads bypass our region in favor of places like ... Greenville, N.C. Now, I have a new ax to grind.
If you have any interest in old-time Southern music you've probably heard of the Carolina Chocolate Drops. A trio of black folks determined to reclaim some endangered African-American folk traditions, CCD are a band that's trying to do something artistically and culturally bold. They're also a hell of a lot of fun. At least, they seem to be from the video I've seen of the group. As far as I know, the Carolina Chocolate Drops have never played Hampton Roads. I certainly haven't been lucky enough to see them.
So ... does the band have an aversion to southeastern Virginia? A glance at the group's schedule for the next few months shows a few Virginia shows, but none of them in Hampton Roads.

June 20, North Theater, Danville
June 21, Sun Music Hall, Floyd
June 28, Blue Ridge Music Center, Galax
Sept. 19, Watermelon Park Festival, Berryville
Oct. 24, Mountain Music Benefit at Lyric Theater, Blacksburg
Oct. 25, Virginia Discovery Museum, Charlottesville

No comments: