Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Good News for Modern Man


(Thao photo by Sarah Cass)
To counterbalance some of my whining in recent posts, I'd like to offer a pair of uplifting developments on the local scene.
Tonight, at The NorVa, Thao and The Get Down Stay Down will rock along with the excellent and eye-pleasing Rilo Kiley. I'm hoping to see at least part of Thao's set tonight. It's a priority because I've been kicking myself for missing Thao's Boot show earlier this year.
Speaking of The Boot ... that's where, on July 19, the prickly, poppy, punky sounds of Mas y Mas will rub up against those of the dazzlingly gonzo Bastards of Fate, a Roanoke band I've been hoping to hear for months now.

Yipeeeee!

4 comments:

swampy said...

dont forget Deerhunter on aug. 1st. i saw these guys in chapel hill two years ago wth the LIARS. they blew doors off the place. ive listened to them weekly ever since. i havent been this excited for a show in years. mike d.

Sam McDonald said...

Hell yeah. I'm listening to Deerhunter as I write this ... Wow, great stuff. Thanks for tipping me off, yo.

swampy said...

sam have you checked the deerhunter blog? bradford posts solo work almost daily. i have a double lp of his stuff. i havent even picked up his atlas sound record yet. yeah that cryptograms record slays. a perfect balance of indie/pop/ambient/shoegaze

Sam McDonald said...

Hey, yeah. That blog is really good -- lots of videos and playlists. Looking forward to Aug. 1 ...