Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mixed Media


(Seamonster photo from MySpace)

I've got several mostly unrelated news nuggets to pass on tonight.

Thing No. 1: I learned tonight that Volume, the Virginia Beach CD shop, will hold its final Friday-night folk session tomorrow. I'm disappointed that I never got to experience the acoustic throw-down, because I gather it was hosted by Adrian "Seamonster" Webb, a talented songwriter whose music bears resemblance to that of Neutral Milk Hotel. I won't be able to make Friday's folk finale, but I'm going to keep an eye out for Seamonster, who is scheduled to play The Boot on Aug. 5. Listen to his songs here, including a weird, cool track called "Bearsuit."

Thing No. 2: Thanks to Leona Baker at PortFolio for writing an apt and appropriately unsentimental story about the recent death of Candy Snatchers guitarist Matt Odietus. Read it here.

Thing No. 3: The charming and talented Skye Zentz will give a solo performance at Virginia Beach Central Library July 19. Skye told me weeks ago that this would be something of a farewell gig, since she is planning to move away from the region soon. I'm not sure that she's still planning to relocate, but I haven't heard otherwise. Unfortunately, her show is the same night as the Bastards of Fate gig at The Boot. I hate it when this sort of thing happens. Curses!

No comments: