Monday, February 11, 2008

Fake Yer Death



Orion Rigel Dommisse -- who grew up in Hampton Roads, but now lives in Providence, R.I. -- is a cello player who sings and writes eerie songs that mix childish innocence and unsettling undercurrents. Her tunes include "Fake Yer Death" and "A Faceless Death." (Do I detect a theme here? Hmmm.)
With a visit to The Boot in Norfolk ahead on February 20, I sent Orion a few questions about her music and local connections.

"I was born in Washington D.C. but moved to Newport News soon after and lived there until I was 18 at which point I moved to New York City to go to cooking school," she said in an e-mail. "I played cello in middle school and high school orchestras. I never really sang or wrote the kind of songs that I do now until I moved away."

"My high school experience was okay ... At Woodside [High School] there was piano class which just meant I was left alone for an hour and a half to play piano. I remember a few teachers and the guidance counselor being upset that I didn't want to go to college, but I'm grateful all of the time now for having not gone."

Orion is friends with Christopher Francis, another former Newport News musician who has since moved to Olympia, Washington. Francis recently toured with the rock band Two Ton Boa, which played The NorVa as an opener for the Dresden Dolls.

"Christopher I think I met at one of his shows in Newport News. I would go see him every time he played out. I was obsessed with his music and with him and we became very close friends," Orion said.

3 comments:

iso.bot said...

i expected to see you at the boot tonight for the thao nguyen show. it was a good time.

Sam McDonald said...

Was it good? I did want to go, but I lost steam. What was her band like?

iso.bot said...

it was just her and the drummer. i saw the whole band in charlottesville over the weekend. i heart them so.