Sunday, February 3, 2008

Hit me with a 'Bag of Hammers'


(Photo by Sarah Cass)
I stopped by The Boot late last night and caught the final two songs by The Great White Jenkins. Playing as a trio with an extra member sitting in, they sounded fine, but I got the feeling the peak of their set came much earlier. I'll look forward to hearing an entire performance another time.
Speaking of The Boot, Kill Rock Stars recording artist Thao Nguyen (pictured above) is coming to perform there on Feb. 11. Her idiosyncratic indie-folk rock is quirky (her band and The Great White Jenkins would make a fine double bill come to think of it) and sweet, so I'm going to do my best to stop by.
I'm told that Nguyen recently graduated from the College of William and Mary, so she's practically a hometown girl. Thanks to my man Joe Atkinson for tipping me off to Nguyen's local connection and to Paul Shugrue for playing tunes from her album "We Brave Bee Stings and All" which includes the excellent, bouncy "Bag of Hammers."
My favorite of several live, solo videos posted on her MySpace page is one for the tune "Geography" (it's the third of four clips) which shows off her deft guitar fingerpicking and her ability to forget a lyric and come off sounding even more likable for it.

No comments: