Wednesday, February 6, 2008

God Don't Like It


(Photo courtesy of the College of William and Mary)

As I was waiting for a burrito at Taco Bell tonight, I started reading the liner notes to a compilation called "Blues, Sweet Blues" published by the Music Maker Relief Foundation. To my surprise, I saw that the double disc collection includes a tune by Elder Anderson Johnson, a musician and folk artist who lived and worked in the East End of Newport News. Johnson, who died years ago, enjoyed a great reputation as a folk artist, but I'm thrilled that somebody was smart enough to make a recording of his music. The track on the collection, "God Don't Like It" features Anderson accompanying himself on his trusty lap steel.
This is more proof that the Music Maker Relief Foundation is doing great work.

No comments: