Thursday, February 28, 2008

Mustaches of the Revolution


(Photo of Magnetic Fields' Stephin Merritt by Stefano Paltera/Los Angeles Times)
Driving back and forth to DC to see what turned out to be a pretty nifty Wilco show (which will eventually be available to the entire world through All Songs Considered) my man Doc and I listened to his satellite radio hookup -- programs hosted by Bob Dylan and Tom Petty. That was all great, but it got me thinking about college radio and my beloved WXYC-FM back in Chapel Hill, N.C. Here in Hampton Roads we're college radio challenged. But online you can stream WCWM-FM from the College of William and Mary. I'm doing so as I write this and I'm happy to report that they're spinning "California Girls" by the magnificent Magnetic Fields and in the same set they played Red Red Meat, Bikini Kill, Art Brut and the delicious "Common People" from Pulp -- not bad for a random Thursday night.
The station breaks up programming into segments. Tonight's show is called Ultra Honey. I'm also going to try out the alt-country show Mustaches of the Revolution which airs 6-7 p.m. on Sundays.

No comments: