Sunday, April 27, 2008

(belated) MACRoCk Report


(Photo of Shapiro by Allen Clark)

I've never been to MACRoCk (the cutesy-pie name for the Mid-Atlantic College Radio Conference) but I can tell it's a great place to catch up-and-coming bands. The festival takes place in Harrisonburg, Virginia, each April (except for 2007, but that's another story). This year's festival included sets by well-known indie bands Elf Power, Mock Orange, but I gather the thrust of the 2008 event came from local and regional acts.

Richmond bands playing the fest included Antlers, Snack Truck, Government Warning, Cloak/Dagger and Devine Profitz. Harrisonburg's own Shaprio also played and Virginia Beach blogger Drew Worden felt the band gave one of the festival's best performances.

"Shapiro stole the show for the evening, in my opinion," he wrote at his blog, linesthroughlines. I've seen them probably 8 times since their inception, but not live in about a year. They've grown up. They dominated. This band is going to be huge. I texted Dan during the performance: 'Just kill me now.' I'd have been happy.' "

Worden also reported that Nashville's Brooke Waggoner gave a performance that was a festival highlight.

In case you're wondering, Hampton Roads was represented at this year's MACRoCk. The wonderful Mas Y Mas was on the bill, as were the Super Vacations, who I've yet to hear. The Great White Jenkins -- which is sort of a Richmond/Hampton Roads band, also was scheduled to rock at MACRoCk.

Read a set of interviews with festival participants here.

No comments: