Saturday, April 5, 2008

Children Again


(Photo by Patty M. McDonald)

This blog is intended to be a chronicle of Virginia music, not a diary of my life. But tonight, I'm reporting about one of my own musical exploits.
In Carrboro, N.C. this afternoon, Billy Warden and the Floating Children -- of which I am a proud founding member -- reunited for the band's first public gig in close to 20 years. The occasion was something of a sad one, a farewell to Schoolkids Records, a Chapel Hill institution. Schoolkids was a great store -- and one that has strong ties to The Floating Children.
Our short setlist featured "Butt," "Doy" "Electric Southern Boys" and "Underwear." I played guitar. Billy's brother Christopher Warden sat in on drums. Billy sang.
The show was a blast for me. It was great being back on stage with my man Billy Warden -- still a great showman despite a long, long break from performing.
Looking out at the crowd (which wasn't huge, we played a 6 p.m. slot opening the event) I saw lots of smiles.
I hope this is only the first of a series of reunion shows. I hope next time we'll have more of the band on stage together.


"Cosmic rock star, eating cheese balls in your big black car, attending orgies on the planet Mars, Cosmic rock star, how I wonder what you are ..." -- from "Cosmic Rock Star" by Billy Warden and the Floating Children.

2 comments:

Misty Beethoven said...

Oh dude, I wish I could have been there! I'm so glad it went well. Sounds like a blast!

Anonymous said...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=414504687


Hi,
My friend Chris Tate will be coming through the area in the next few weeks and was wondering if you know of a opening on a vnue calender for "The Green Deeps" I have a demo CD of their music... Could provide one. Their my space page has a few of there recent tracks. Thanks and keep up the good vibes.
Jefferson Ghent
Cell: 757-650-1639

"Clean Solutions for your dirty problems"
On the web: greenenvironments.web.officelive.com
Thanks
Jefferson Ghent