Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Good News in Bad Newz


Matt "Uglyography" Thomas told me about a new venue in downtown Newport News called Liberty IV, so I did some poking around on the Internet and, lo and behold, just as Matt said, something pretty exciting is happening down on Washington Avenue. Some very enthusiastic folks are working hard to create a DIY space, mostly for punk and hardcore shows. This all makes perfect sense to me. Afterall, CBGBs started in an all-but-abandoned part of Manhattan. Why shouldn't punks and other misfits take over a corner of downtown Newport News? I'm wishing these guys all the luck in the world. They have a great idea and they obviously have lots of gumption. Let's hope they're savvy enough to make this thing work. Judging from posts and fliers I've seen, it looks like the action starts this weekend.

No comments: