Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Memorial


(Pictured: The late Bryan Harvey)

Another note from the belated observations department:

As you may have heard by now, The Drive-By Truckers' newest album kicks off with a track inspired by the horrific murders of House of Freaks member Bryan Harvey, his wife and daughters. Well, I finally got around to hearing the tune and I was not disappointed. Given the subject matter, the tune could have been maudlin. Thankfully, it's not. While I'm still not in love with the Truckers, this tune, "Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife" is giving me reason to reconsider them.
Richmond's House of Freaks, of course, were duo that sent ripples through the national underground back in the 1980s and early 1990s.
To read an article about the Drive-By Truckers' album "Brighter Than Creations Dark," go here. To read Rolling Stone magazine's story about the Harvey murders, go here.

1 comment:

Jim Roberts said...

Thanks for the Drive-By Truckers tip -- I will have to check it out.

I can remember seeing House of Freaks for the first time -- in Rector Field House at Virginia Tech, promoting the phenomenal Tantilla CD. I couldn't believe so much music was coming from just two people! Tantilla is still one of my "go to" reminiscent CDs, and if anyone is a fan, I would also recommend the underrated EP All My Friends, which has some ominous song titles given how Bryan left us.