Friday, April 25, 2008

Sweet Lou



(Photo by Reuters, 2006)

Lou Reed doesn't do "Heroin" anymore, but he does throw in a long, minimalist "Sweet Jane" just to please the Velvet Underground fanatics.
Tonight at The NorVa, Reed played a somewhat subdued, but at times heartfelt set. Opinions among my friends were mixed about the show, but I loved it. I went in not expecting too much since I haven't been thrilled by his recent records. But a restrained Reed turned out to be in the house Friday and the show was all the better for it. For me, highlights were "Satellite of Love" from 1972's "Transformer," the fun and frivolous "I'm Sticking With You" (a VU nugget used on the "Juno" soundtrack), and a sweet, gentle "Guardian Angel" from 2003's album "The Raven" featuring Reed melodies set to Edgar Allan Poe lyrics.
The one encore, "Perfect Day" was also a winner.
Reed's band was remarkable in its balance of chops and taste. Guitarist Steve Hunter -- who played on Reed's "Rock 'n' Roll Animal" live album from the 1970s -- is a monster ax man, but Lou kept him on a short leash. Or maybe he kept himself. In any case, his few eruptions of lead guitar wanking were few and appropriately timed. Bassist Rob Wasserman also added a lot to the tunes without ever overdoing it.
Overall, it was an unusually calm Friday night, but one, if you asked me, befitting a legend.

No comments: