Monday, March 31, 2008

The Beirut connection


(Photo by Ben Chrisman/MySpace)

Over the weekend I went to a party and was talking to my former boss, Dan Montgomery. Dan is an old punk rocker from San Francisco and a ukulele player. He's into some good, fairly obscure music.
Still, I was surprised to hear from Dan that the leader of the band Beirut has a connection to Newport News.
I later did a quick Google of "Beirut" and "Newport News" and came up with a story from the New York magazine that confirms it. Zach Condon, the mastermind behind Beirut, lived here for at least a few years when he was a kid.

Here's an excerpt from the story:

"Collision is a large part of Condon’s style, inherent to its appeal. His record is not so much world music as a global mash-up. He first picked up a trumpet as a grade-­schooler in Newport News, Virginia. “Newport was a coastal town. I was always on a boat. It made me look outwards.” But Condon’s family moved to New Mexico in his teens, where he started making lo-fi recordings on a synthesizer, inspired by the jangly, slapdash rock of bands like the Magnetic Fields and Neutral Milk Hotel. “I was so angry to be landlocked, I just wanted to stay inside and make music. One day I just thought, Can I sing? And I tried, and I could.”

Read the whole article here.

First off, nobody calls Newport News, "Newport" for short, so I figure he was either misquoted or he really has very little memory of this place. Secondly, it looks like in a weird way his journey from the Virginia Peninsula to New Mexico inspired him to get into making music. Hey, it ain't much, but it's something.

I'm going to try to e-mail Condon and see if he can tell us more about his Virginia days.

2 comments:

iso.bot said...

neat, i had never heard that before. i'm curious to see if he writes you back.

Anonymous said...

The show at the Norva 5.9.11, Condon confirmed that he lived in Newpoort News for 5 years in Hilton Village. Said it was the reason they started the tour at the Norva.