Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Primal Screams



Last night I got to see Mas Y Mas play at The Boot in Norfolk. Wow. What an eye-opener. Compared to the scratchy, low-fi songs I'd heard on MySpace and on the "Boot Cuts" compilation, the sound was loud, tough and cohesive. It packed a punk-rock wallop I hadn't expected but was happy to hear. Playing as a trio, the band stomped through songs on an untitled CD I picked up after the set. I'm thinking of it as the "Pepsi" CD because the artwork makes a connection and there's a song on it that refers to the New Generation's fizzy drink of choice. Mas Y Mas played other tunes as well. "We're all about raising awareness," the singer and guitarist said, then introduced a song called "You Should Have That Looked At."
Anyway, I was knocked out by the band's weird energy and I can't wait to see them again. Fortunately, they're coming back to The Boot March 14. If you're brave enough, take a peek at the strange world of Mas Y Mas here.

No comments: