Sunday, March 23, 2008

Starship Trooper



(Toggle Switch photo)

Friday night I got the chance to sample a few songs from Little Trooper, a Norfolk indie rock band I'd been hearing good things about for a few months. Playing The Boot, they didn't go on until about 1 a.m. -- testing my middle-age, non-partying patience -- but I'm glad I hung in there. Little Trooper, playing as a sextet, made a sound that was tuneful and pleasantly offbeat. I've heard them compared to Pavement, and I'm sure there's some Steve Malkmus in there somewhere, but I heard other things floating through their style. One was a jangly sort of British soul, something akin to The Waterboys or Dexy's Midnight Runners. Catchy synth hooks and restrained guitar lines made me think of the Flaming Lips. But none of these comparisons fully describes what Little Trooper does. That's part of what makes them interesting. Other points in their favor include hummable melodies, arrangements that keep you guessing and stage presence that's cool, not painfully hip. I'm looking forward to hearing a full set from the Troopers. Conveniently, they're set to play The Taphouse April 5.

No comments: