Friday, March 7, 2008

Quarter for a pod


(Toggle Switch photo)
Matt Thomas -- bass player, songwriter and leader of the Hampton-based band Uglyography -- is one tenacious mofo. Since his previous band the Outer Loop dissolved a few years ago, he's been steadily trying to get his new project Uglyography up and running. He single-handedly put together the band's debut CD "Love Boat" and has since worked diligently to put together a band capable of playing those quirky-but-tuneful songs live. There have been many obstacles. This week, though, he unveiled Uglyography version 2.0 at the open mic at Goody's in downtown Hampton. Thomas performed solo, singing and playing bass to prerecorded drum, guitar and keyboard tracks. That's a tough trick, but Matt pulled it off well. I'd much rather hear him with a full band -- but I know that Matt's doing what's necessary to get his music out there. Anyway, like I said, Matt is tenacious and fiercely focused. I'm looking forward to hearing some new songs from him.

2 comments:

Misty Beethoven said...

Thanks, Sam! Thank you to you and your lovely wife for coming out to show some love.

Anonymous said...

Yes - my wife beat me to it! Thanks for coming out and for the support and for the post! I do realize taht these songs are a couple of years old - Some new songs should be ready for performing sometime soon! Thanks again!