Sunday, March 2, 2008

Exit Wounds


(MySpace photo, caption: James River, Lynchburg, Va., waiting on a train)
Tim Barry of the Richmond-area punk band Avail writes and performs acoustic, folk-ish tunes on his own. Great to hear that punk spirit being channeled in a new, somewhat more rootsy direction. The volume may be throttled back, but the confrontational attitude is still there in spades. I'd like to hear Tim play live, but the only local show I know he has scheduled is May 31 at the Jewish Mother.
Reading Barry's MySpace page, I see that he's lost two people close to him in 2008. He's still writing songs and trying to get back on his feet emotionally.
"I'm gonna go for it now," he posted on his MySpace blog. "I'm gonna record a few songs in April, and if I like any of them I will put them up on here. I'm gonna continue to write until I have an album I like. I'm doing all of this because it's the only thing I can do now. Just gotta keep moving and planning."

No comments: