Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Jungle Love


(Photo of Dominic Carpin at Rockitz in Richmond from MySpace)

More than 20 years ago (gulp) my college girlfriend told me about a band from her hometown of Richmond called the Cashmere Jungle Lords. I remember her playing a homemade cassette of the Lord's songs -- a tape I think she lifted from her brother. Good songs, I remember thinking. And nice, surfy sounding guitar.
Fast forward about 10 years, and I remember -- though a haze -- finally hearing Dominic Carpin's band live at the old Friar Tuck's on Hampton Boulevard in Norfolk. I'd been hitting the margaritas pretty hard that night (thanks Seth) but despite my condition, the Jungle Lords made an impression. The crowd was loose and rambunctious and the rock 'n' roll was loud, lean and full of '50s and '60s spirit. It was a good Saturday night -- and a tough Sunday morning.
The third part of this story is set just a month or two ago in Hampton. My wife and I wandered into Marker 20 downtown and spent a Friday in the arms of the Cashmere Jungle Lords as they cranked up classics by the Ventures, the Shadows and the like. I saw hardcore drinkers at the bar actually turn around and face the stage when Dominic played a particularly sharp guitar lick.
It was inspiring to see Dominic playing and singing so well -- his enthusiasm still burns bright. I could detect not a hint of bitterness or resignation. Just love of the rock.
Cashmere Jungle Lords have stood the test of time. Hell, they ate the test for breakfast.
On Saturday, CJL play a CD release party at the Taphouse in Norfolk. The disc, "Cashmere Jungle Lords/ Oodjie Boodjie Night-Night" collects all the tracks from the band's original vinyl releases.
One of the tunes, "Radio On," I remember from my girlfriend's cassette tape all those years ago.

No comments: