Saturday, March 29, 2008

Crum Nation

(Photo by Big Dave/MySpace)

Man, I wandered into a cyclone of rock mayhem last night at the South End Pub in Virginia Beach. I went to see The Crums and watched them blast through a chaotic, drunken, cathartic sweat-fest of a show -- that also included lots of strong (even hummable) garage pop tunes. Even though The Crums have been around for years, this was my first experience. I'm sorry I didn't make the effort sooner. If last night's show was any indication, I missed a lot.
When I walked in around 12:30, the place was packed and The Crums were ripping through a sleazy, garage version of the R&B classic "Night Time." From there on out it was mostly the band's own tunes -- "I Got Nothing," "Detox Girl" and "Oh Yeah" I remember specifically. The Crums kept hurtling through its set until about 1:45 a.m. -- fueled by a steady flow of beer and shots and the boozy enthusiasm of an adoring and raucous crowd.
I heard people say that it was The Crums' final show and that crazed frontman Larry "Mud" May (who also leads the punkier Candy Snatchers) may be leaving town. I hope that's not the case. Larry's been at the heart of the local rock scene for as long as I can remember.

No comments: