Friday, March 21, 2008

National treasure?



(Photo by Jason Collins Photography/MySpace)

I haven't made the trek up to Richmond to see a show at the newly reopened, freshly refurbished National theater yet, but I'm getting more excited about the idea. My friend Jenny Payne, a fellow music obsessive, went this week to see Willie Nelson and wrote this about her experience:

"So I went in thinking I only knew one or two Willie songs... and was there mostly to check out Richmond 's newest venue and to hang out with my friend from out of town... but I emerged a Willie fan! :) He was so, so good... and just a cool, down to earth person in general ...

The venue... The National... it's my new favorite place to see a band! The 1923 building has been lovingly and painstakingly restored. The area in front of the stage is wide open with a graduated wood floor, so even the people in back have a good view. The balcony upstairs still has what looks like the original movie theatre seating. The acoustics were excellent, and the sound wasn't turned up to ear-piercing level. Plus, bonus, this venue is smoke-free. Will see some of you there for Iron+Wine ..."

That all sounds promising. Plus, look at that balcony shown in the photo. The idea of sitting down to watch someone like Iron & Wine is very, very attractive.

Saturday night, Virginia Beach's own N*E*R*D performs there. Other shows of interest include Drive By Truckers March 28, Kimya Dawson April 1, Ben Folds April 11, Iron & Wine April 16, Old Crow Medicine Show April 23, Lou Reed April 26.

No comments: