Saturday, March 8, 2008

Pick your passion


(Photo from www.thejameskingband.com)
Anyone who feeling cynical about the manufactured nature of modern music should make a point of stopping by The Cabin Fever Pickin' Party in Hampton on a Saturday afternoon. I spent a few hours over there today, and the Holiday Inn where the indoor festival is held was swarming with bluegrass pickers and fans of all ages and skill levels. As always, jam sessions were happening in nearly every corner of the hotel. I saw 70-year-old fiddlers sawing away next to 20-something guitarists. I saw a white-hot Dobro player who was probably 11 years old. And I heard an pickup combo a classic-sounding tune called "Faithless Love" only to hear the mandolinist say at song's end "I wrote that with my wife." Here in Virginia, the string-band tradition is alive and well. I only wish I could have heard James King perform tonight -- I was busy watching UNC defeat Duke in basketball. (Go Tar Heels).

No comments: